Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Marathon weekend recap

Hey everyone!

I know it has been a million years since I last posted and a lot has happened. I began this blog to track my training for the Lansing Marathon in April of 2012. I began in November (I think) and, by March, I was feeling pretty good. I did all my long runs (best one was 20 miles!) and my endurance was amazing!

But I didn't run the Marathon. I got injured! I mean, j injured myself. How? The usual culprits: overtraining, under-stretching and, well, basically ignoring a lot of good advice. So what ended up happening was that I pulled (and I mean pulled in italics and bold) the very origin of my hamstring. I did this approximately two weeks before the Race and tried to ignore the pain.

But I couldn't! I am not kidding.. I struggled with every step to walk. I was limping, ice didn't really help and forget standing up from sitting down. I felt like the top of my leg was on fire. At one point I was going on a short training jog with a friend and had to stop at less than one mile. I actuay had to crawl off of the path in Prospect Park and rested/cried a little bit as I waited for the pain to subside.

So... Five days before the Marathon I decided that I just couldn't run the thing. But I was going to gk to Micjigan anyway because, of course, I had a lot more than running 26.2 miles to look forward to! My family, the All Saints Coffeehouse and my family! Lizzie couldn't go with me because she had to be in DC but I took her awesomeness with me.

Long story short? So the first thing I did when I saw each of my parents was cry about missing the marathon. Everyone was so incredibly supportive during the entire training months (even in the dead of winter and Lizzie, you were/are spectacular!) and especially when I told them I wasn't running. Thank you, everyone. Your support means so much!

So the Marathon weekend carried on with Friday night Coffeehouse at All Saints, organized for the third (I think!) year by my Dad. Lisa was in town (hurrah!) but heather had to work.

Or so I thought!

I went up to sing (first) and had three songs lined up: "for you," "a story" an... I can't remember the third.

So I'm up there, about to sing Lizzie's song and what happens? She comes into the under croft! With Heather! My brain and wart were all *%#~€\¥!!!!!!! Because Lizzie was supposed to be NYC and heather was supposed to be working!

So I was so, so surprised. And Lizzie came with a ring and proposed to me in front of my entire church family. And we sang her song together! And it was magical.

And I said yes and a few days later Lisa made a music video from the night which is on YouTube an it was just so amazing. And so we are double engaged and my life is so amazing, I am so grateful.

So all of this is to say that I stopped blogging when I couldn't do the Marathon and now I may be back. I'm working on getting super big and strong for not only the wedding but also my life. I might write about it here.

Maybe I should change the title of this blog from Fin on the Run to Fun having fun? Because that's really what's going on!

Thanks for reading and, also, thank you for your support!

Xox

No comments:

Post a Comment