Sunday, March 11, 2012

20 miles! Ow.

Hey! So it has been far too long since I last wrote and my completely supportive and awesome mother reminded me that I should update today because I accomplished something I never thought possible!

What happened?

I ran 20 miles!

Yup, did it in 3 hours and 33 minutes and, besides the fact that my entire body feels like an achy mess, I feel so amazing! Never ever ever in my life did I think I could do this.

I can't really sleep for more than three hours at a time, let alone RUN for more than three hours. Freaking incredible.

There were several things that made today possible, besides the mantra of our high school inspiration quotes and my friend, A.M.: "See it, believe it, achieve it." Hey now! That's helpful!

Other helpful points: Lizzie supports me and encourages me. So do my roommates and my friends and my co-workers ad everyone who knows I am running a marathon. So that feels super great, for real. Lizzie gave me a sweet present for Valentine's Day (see photo) and I wear tht and feel strong and powerful.

Today was also helped by the fact that I had two running buddies meeting me on the road at specific times/distances so I couldn't stop/cheat. Unfortunately one person had to cancel at the last minute and, while that shook my confidence for a moment and j almost turned around and went home, I kept on going because I had to meet my other friend 1.5 hours later! She was there and she joined me for the last six miles.

Those last six miles? Damn, they were tough. But not impossible! Having enough energy is crucial and so I had my banana break at the co-op approx thirteen miles in but I didn't have any water. Every water fountain around Prospect Park was broken (what the hell, NYC, I will be writing an angry letter/email/tweet about this!) and by 17 I was feeling almost kind of out of it. Luckily, a cafe was open so I purchased a bottle of water (ugh) used the bathroom.

The last two mea were ok! I felt hope! I felt success! I felt on top of the world despite the pain in my knees, ankles, lower back and feet. Note that I did yoga for the first time in months yesterday so my muscles were sore from that on top of the long run.

Anyway, I feel awesome about today and I think the marathon is six weeks away.

Bring it, Lansing!

In case it isn't clear, thank you to everyone who is supporting me on this journey. I'm really grateful!

Love
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment