Monday, January 16, 2012

Six training runs missed! Week 9 done kinda sorta.

OY you guys!

So last week was Week 9 of Marathon training. I just did some math and it looks like my sixteen week program will end at the beginning of March which means a couple of things:


  1. I don't think I planned my training program very well, considering my marathon is in April

  2. I have more weeks before the marathon than I thought I did, so that's good

  3. Wow, April is hurtling towards me?

Anyway, so far I have missed 6 training runs. Why? The only thing preventing me from running is ME. I know how mental running is and there have been days when I straight up have not had the willingness to move my bones. Also last week was the week I decided to decrease my caffeine intake by about half (I was drinking too much coffee) and BOY did I feel it. I was so sluggish, lethargic, blah blah blah all week and I couldn't shake it. Then I remembered what I was doing about caffeine and that helped to remind me that my body was probably just reacting.


So far I have missed a 3, an 8, a 3, a 6 and a 4. The 6 and the 4 were from this past week... I was just trashed from exhaustion and unwillingness... it wasn't fun. I also postponed my long-run of 12 miles from last week to this past Monday so I didn't NOT do the 12, I just moved them in to a different week. It's funny how I'm willing to do anything to get my way/not follow this program/do what I think is right. Dangit! The book that I'm reading (The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer) says not to skip a run, no matter what and look at me! So defiant! Ahh! How am I ever going to run a marathon now!


It's so easy to psych myself out over every single run... "It's too cold out," "My joints hurt," "yadda yadda yadda." Well, if I want to get anywhere, I have to follow this program and just let it all go. It is so much more satisfying finishing the run that I do not want to do than dodging the run and doing what I think I know is best.


Anyway, so I think I want to re-do last week? I'm not sure what I want to do... Maybe just carry-on and then re-do week 9 at the end? That would mean that this week is Week 10 and the runs are as follows:


4, 7, 4, 16


Oh crap! I have a half-marathon to run on Saturday. So then what do I do? The half marathon is a race for NYRR...


I'm sure I'll figure it out, I always do, I am so grateful for this running experience and even learning that I can actually go out and run for 2.5 hours. Who knew!


Maybe today I won't feel guilty for all of the missed runs? Maybe today I'll just lace up my shoes and take the next right action? Go for that next run?


Also! The 4 miler that I ran last week was on the treadmill and I averaged a 9:07/mile. That is AWESOME and I had no idea I could do that. That means I am in pretty good cardio shape! Grateful grateful grateful.


Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment